The 1990 Car Bombing of Judi Bari
October 1, 2001 set as Trial Date for Bari's lawsuit against the FBI and Oakland PD, more than 11 years after the bombing! (May 15, 2000)
- Did Judi Bari's ex-husband Mike Sweeney make the car bomb that was intended to kill Judi Bari? Read columnist Alexander Cockburn's presentation of the evidence, first published in the New York Press, to support this recent claim originally presented by Flatland magazine. (March 3, 2000)
- Hayduke Rocks! distributed Cockburn's article in early March, 2000. Other lists then redistributed it, and Mike Sweeney complained. Here is his complaint and his published rebuttal to Cockburn's New York Press article. (March 7, 2000)
- So Andy Caffrey of Hayduke Rocks! wrote to Mike Sweeney with an offer to print and widely distribute anything on the subject, at any time, completely uncensored. As of May 11, 2000 Sweeney has not responded to Caffrey (March 7, 2000)
- Alexander Cockburn and Anderson Valley Advertiser editor and publisher Bruce Anderson respond to Sweeney's New York Press letter (March 7, 2000)
- Ed Gehrman was the man who pursued the research which eventually was published by Jim Martin in Flatland magazine. He rebuts Sweeney and challenges him to come clean and take a polygraph test. (March 7, 2000)
- Longtime Earth First! activist Karen Pickett is a thug and a blight on Earth First! Here is a memo she wrote on Berkeley Ecology Center/Bay Area Coalition for Headwaters (BACH) letterhead conspiring to gather up a gang to silence editor Bruce Anderson. It's time for Karen Pickett to be shown the door out of EF! (February 16, 2000)
- Karen Pickett tries to cover her ass. (May 3, 2000)
- Darryl Cherney and Alicia Littletree join Pickett in wrenching open movement discussions of the most violent attack ever against Earth First! Here's Jim Martin's account of their smear campaign. (February 3, 2000)
- Rob Anderson, Bruce's brother, goes on a tirade against Jim Martin. It's a typical response from those who don't want this new research discussed. (May 23, 2000)
- So why is there a $50,000 Jail Hurwitz reward and no reward offered for the arrest of the bomber of Judi and Darryl? Andy Caffrey was Cherney's employee for a year as the manager of the jail Hurwitz project. He knows exactly why. (posted May 24, 2000)
Web sites which challenge the Judi Bari orthodoxy:
- Petition to initiate Mendocino County investigations into the 1990 car bombing murder attempt on Judi Bari. Please print out, sign and circulate this petition today! (June 16, 1999)
- CNN TV clip on the May 24, 1990 bombing of Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney.
- John Trudell speaks at Judi Bari Memorial (April 26, 1997, Berkeley, California)
- "Judi Bari Suit Against FBI Reveals: COINTELPRO Against Earth First!" by Bill Weinberg, Shadow article (1995)
- Judi Bari Official Home Page--Here you'll find information about Judi Bari, radical environmental and social justice leader who fought for the preservation of ancient redwood forests and an end to the rapid liquidation of second-growth forests by giant timber corporations in the Northern California redwood region where she lived. Judi died March 2, 1997, of breast cancer.
She barely survived a murder attempt when a powerful motion-triggered pipe bomb hidden under the driver's seat of her car exploded in Oakland, California, on May 24, 1990. The bombers remain at large today because, as overwhelming evidence filed with the court now shows, the FBI and Oakland Police:
- targeted Bari and attempted to frame her for political reasons
- lied to the media and the courts
- falsified evidence
- blamed the victims while ignoring evidence pointing to the real bombers, and
- covered up their own wrongdoing.
Judi Bari and fellow Earth First! organizer Darryl Cherney, who was with her when the bomb exploded, filed a federal civil rights suit against the FBI and Oakland Police for violating their constitutional rights by false arrest, unlawful search and seizure, and conspiracy, and by allowing the real assassins to go free.
Bari's estate and Cherney will go forward with the suit, which has withstood repeated defense attempts to dismiss it since it was filed in May, 1991. Judi founded the nonprofit Redwood Justice Fund and its Redwood Summer Justice Project in 1991 to support and help fund the lawsuit. The RSJP has set up this web site to provide information about Judi and the lawsuit.
Hayduke Rocks! can use your help in investigating the bombing of Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney! Andy Caffrey is rigorously combing through all of the writings and documents he can find on the bombing. He is creating a massive, encyclopedic time line document which so far has over 300 time events. His goal is to provide a tool for all researchers of this attempt to murder his friend Judi, and to reveal a portrait of the repeated pattern in Northern California of law enforcement-sanctioned violence against environmentalists. This pattern has continued unabated to this day, resulting in the 1998 murder of David Chain by logger A.E. Ammons. Andy's document will be posted here when completed. Financial contributions to continue this research would really help and could cause the results to become available much sooner than otherwise would be possible. Copies of any archived articles on the bombing that you might have would also be appreciated. Send checks and articles to:
P.O. Box 324
Redway, CA 95560
Judi Bari and the Redwood Summer Justice Project's lawsuit against the F.B.I. and the Oakland, California Police Department
- "FBI Stalling in Bari Case Must Stop," Judge Says
"SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal magistrate said today he will order the FBI to provide further evidence to lawyers for the late Judi Bari and
fellow Earth First! activist Darryl Cherney. The FBI had claimed that an appeal by codefendant Oakland Police Department of an earlier
ruling in the 7-1/2 yr. lawsuit shielded it from the requirement to provide additional evidence. Using a delaying tactic seen several times before in this case, the Oakland city attorney last winter filed an appeal of an October, 1997, district court decision denying the Oakland police officers "qualified immunity" from suit. The appeal, now pending before the 9th Circuit Court, has already delayed for over a year the setting of a trial date, and the FBI's refusal to cooperate has compounded the effects of that delay." (December 16, 1998)
Welcome to this User-Sponsored web site. As you can see, there's quite a comprehensive design plan underlying it all. There's also some pretty cool stuff already up, lurking, e-wrench in hand, behind many of these links.
But many links go nowhere right now. That's where you come in. Is there some aspect of this site you would like to support and see further developed? Well then! Send a contribution payable to Earth First! and tell us what you want more of... More Warrior Poet issues! More on Genetic Engineering actions! More Eco-defense! More road show info!
Of course these donations are sliding scale: no one's preferences or opinions turned away for lack of funds. This is a porous project that will continue to grow. It's only limited by the love and support we get from the users of this site. But please don't spend too much time at this web site. There's a lot of work to do right now out in the fields and forests and corporate board rooms.
So come back soon and see what has sprouted here in this section that seemed of interest to you. And if you can, please send a contribution and a note to:
P.O. Box 324
Redway, CA 95560
Rockin' in the Tree World!
Last updated May 24, 2000, Tenth Anniversary of the Car Bomb Attack on Judi Bari